Resources & External Links
General Composting Principles
- Using Composted Biosolids in the Production and Maintenance of Ornamental Plants FS-501
- Composting Dead Birds FS-537
- Composting Animal Mortalities on the Farm FS-717
- Composting Catastrophic Event Poultry Mortalities FS-723
- Guidelines for In-House Composting of Catastrophic Poultry Mortality FS-801
- Natural Rendering: Composting Livestock Mortality and Butcher Waste [Cornell] Get the fact sheet (12 pages)
- Composting Animal Mortalities [Minn. Dept. Ag.] (35 pages)
- Composting as a Large Animal Mortality Disposal Option in Shenandoah County [VA Tech] (17 pages)
- Guidelines for Composting Large Animal Mortalities in Maryland ENST FS-2.
- Washington State University Extension’s large animal composting guide in .pdf format. 10 pages.
Food Waste Composting
- EPA food waste section of organic waste webpage.
Estimating Volumes and Areas
- Determining the Amount of Manure in a Pile or a Pool FS-176
- Structures for Broiler Litter Manure Storage FS-416
- The Home and Garden Information Center has literature available concerning home composting, as well as many other topics to help manage turf clippings and other organic waste found around the home.
- Master Composters.