Ph.D. Degree Requirements
Graduate School Requirements
To earn an Ph.D. degree, the University of Maryland Graduate School requires that the student complete a minimum of 12 credits of dissertation research (899) and complete and successfully defend a dissertation based on original research.
ENST Departmental Core Requirements
All ENST Ph.D. students are Students are expected to complete a minimum of 50 credits beyond the B.S. degree (in addition to research credits 898 and 899) and are required to complete the following:
1) ENST 602 - Research Principles and Methodology in Environmental Science and Technology (3 credits). This course should be taken once during either the M.S. or Ph.D. program.
2) ENST 702 - Communication and Professional Development in Environmental Science and Technology (2 credits). This course should be taken once during either the M.S. or Ph.D. program.
3) ENST 798 Graduate Seminar (2 semesters – total of 2 credits).
4) Two graduate level statistics courses
The graduate level statistics courses may be completed during either the student’s M.S. or Ph.D. program and must be selected from this list of approved courses: BIOM 601 Biostatistics I (4); BIOM 602 Biostatistics II (4); BIOM 603 Biostatistics III (4); BIOM 621 Applied Multivariate Statistics (3); GEOG606 Quantitative Spatial Analysis (3).
Each of the three ENST specializations requires completion of specific courses focused within the focus area:
- Soil and Watershed Sciences
- Ecological Technology Design
- Wetland Science
- Ecosystem Health & Natural Resource Management
For more information, contact Graduate Studies Coordinator